Prayer Plant (Maranta Leuconeura)
Prayer Plant aka Maranta Leuconeura
- A species of flowering plant in the family Marantaceae.
- Native to the Brazilian tropical forests.
- Considered an experienced plant owner, friendly plant.
- Comes in a 3 inch colored, plastic pot with drainage holes.
- Hang or set your prayer plant near a window where it will receive indirect sunlight.
- In the winter, when the plants go into dormancy (and sometimes die back completely), provide them with bright light to maintain growth.
- During their growing season, water your prayer plant frequently (whenever the top layer becomes dry) and never allow the potting soil to dry out completely.
- Wipe down leaves periodically to remove any collected dust.
The prayer plant is clearly a living, statement piece for the home. The mixture of colors and oval shaped foliage that face upward at night and downward during the day. This is how it got its name; the foliage resembles praying hands.